Yesterday marked a special day in Kennedy's life. She turned FOUR! Well I guess birthdays aren't that big of a deal, but we were all pretty excited to celebrate this milestone nonetheless!
Kennedy and I started off our day with haircuts. I was way overdue and she needed a trim badly! Besides working at a salon, our friend Stacy cuts hair on the side in her home. She watches her 2yr old niece, Kaya, as well, so she and Kennedy got to play in between her haircut. They always have fun together!
After that, we met up with Kim, Raven and Sarahbeth (and all the kiddos) for a picnic in the park! It was a little chilly, but still enjoyable. After we all finished our lunches, the kids were ready to play! But as we were walking towards the play area it started to rain. We were hoping it would stop, but it quickly turned into a major downpour. We all decided to make a run for the car! I'm sure we looked crazy running for shelter, and on the way, Kennedy was sobbing. We got into the car and I asked her what was wrong. She replied, "We didn't get to play!!! ...and now I'm wet!!" Poor girl. All she wanted to do was play with her friends on her birthday :( Sarahbeth opened up her house, so we headed over there to finish our play date.
In the meantime, Jon returned from work and started putting together one of Kennedy's special surprises. A life size doll house! Last year when my grandma passed away, she left money in two different investments for Kennedy. One was a very substantial amount, which we turned into more investments, and the other was a very small amount. I FINALLY dealt with the smaller one just a month ago handing in the correct forms they had been begging for, and the financial institute cut us a check for Kennedy. Being that it wasn't much and her other account would take care of her college PLUS, we decided to get her a very special birthday gift from Grandma Patty. Kennedy had been asking for a doll house for a while now but we knew we couldn't financially provide that for her. I took part of the money from grandma and made it happen. We read all the reviews online and decided this particular one, although more expensive than the majority, was made the best and even came fully furnished! We tried so hard to have Kennedy wait patiently while Jon hid out in the bedroom piecing this thing together, but after an hour of waiting, she started to grow weary. We finally gave in and showed her before it was completed. When she opened her eyes, she was in awe. What a special gift we could give to a special little girl :)
After it was completed, I watched her play and interact with her 'dollies'. It was very nostalgic for me! When I was about her age, my grandma bought me a Barbie 'condo', complete with the most amazing furnishings and Corvette I could have ever asked for. Yes, I was spoiled. I can admit that... now let's move on. ;) I remember dressing my Barbies and playing with them for hours. I have very fond memories of the time spent at my grandma's house. I'm so thankful that those memories can never be taken from me. I miss her so much...
...wiping the tears...
Back to Kennedy's birthday. After dinner, we went to Kopp's for a scoop of deliciousness. We sat by the waterfall for a few minutes and then moved Kennedy's 'shivering' body to the car to finish our treat. It was so nice hanging out together, just the three of us. Sometimes it's just the little things :)
All-in-all it was a wonderful day with our family celebrating Kennedy's birthday. She had a great time and was very surprised by her doll house (which she's playing with now, as I write). I still cannot believe she's four. Time slips right by us sometimes. I pray that we never take her or the time with her, for granted. I love her sooooooo much!!!!! :)

Awww.happy birthday Kennedy! So exciting to be four!!
ReplyDelete