I have many goals I set for Kennedy in my head that I think would nice to be accomplished by a certain age... reading, writing, riding a bike without training wheels... and another one I considered a few months ago. I thought to myself, 'it would be nice if she could shower by herself by her 4th birthday'. We didn't really 'work' on this one because she was eager to learn. Kennedy is a VERY independent child, so the idea of washing her hair/body by herself was a pretty cool thing to her. I still help lather her hair, but she does the rest! Here's my disclaimer: I don't believe in pushing your children when they aren't ready, or having unrealistic expectations placed on them. But I do think it's good to encourage them! I work with her on things so she can excel and take it to whatever level she wants. For example, she can write her name by herself. It's legible, but needs TONS of improving. So we'll practice our letters together. I never push her though, because I can recognize when she's frustrated and needs to stop. I also read to her everyday. Just a few days ago, I saw her pick up a book and almost read it verbatim. She obviously memorized it, but this wasn't the first time I've seen that. Memorizing words is how reading begins! Besides working with Kennedy at home, I give TONS of credit to her preschool for all of her accomplishments. They truly believe in learning by DOING, interacting, playing... not just sitting them down in front of a book and worksheet. We're so lucky to have found Loving Start Preschool!
I can't believe she's going to be FOUR in just two days. Where does the time go?! :( I know we can't stop her from growing (even though we ask her if she can all the time), so I choose to enjoy every single day with her, not taking anything for granted. I look forward to many more milestones/accomplishments with her and the same for baby girl #2 as well!

No comments:
Post a Comment