Friday, July 9, 2010

The Dentist


Most people know that when their child turns three, it's time to get those little teeth cleaned! Well, even though I work for a dentist, I was dreading Kennedy's first visit. I've seen kids come in and scream bloody murder. But I've also seen kids come in somewhat timid, but very cooperative. Kennedy was somewhere in between the two. She cooperated at first, putting on the glasses and patient napkin (bib). But that was only because I was in the chair, setting the example. When it was her turn to lay back, she freaked... "I wanna go hooooome!" and "I want Daddy!" Funny how they always want Daddy... like mommies are so DREADFUL! I told Mary Kay (our hygienist) that if she didn't mind listening to the screaming, I'd be totally fine with her going to town. We don't force kids to sit in the chair if they aren't comfortable, so she told me it was fine if we had to try again another day. This is exactly what I DIDN'T want. My daughter went from being excited about having her teeth cleaned, to completely melting down. At this point I was just embarrassed. This is the type of child that can be a bit frustrating for us. But when a well-behaved child enters the office, we rave about them for days. Why couldn't MY kid be that child?! I left the office feeling so discouraged.

Kennedy knew I was upset. About an hour later, she said in the sweetest voice, "Mommy, I'll be better for Mary Kay next time." That made me feel so good. I feel like she knew her behavior was inappropriate and that Mommy was disappointed.

Although my day didn't start off well, my mother-in-law brought up a great point. Sometimes we expect too much out of her because she's so smart. I need to remember she is only three. There are going to be times she acts like a three year old. I really feel like Jon and I do our absolute best to love and discipline her. I'm not saying we're perfect, but we're doing the best we can. One thing is for sure... Kennedy is a very independent little girl and she does things on her time. She NEVER holds back her feelings. I have no idea where she gets that from! haha!

I'm proud to be her mommy :)

2 comments:

  1. haha!! I still dread the dentist and I'm 25. She is too cute!! It's time to make her a big sister :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Maria! Thanks... we're trying!! :)

    ReplyDelete