Friday, September 23, 2011

Bottle Time


I'll admit, I've been worrying in anticipation of returning to work and breastfeeding at the same time. How would I possibly pump enough supply for the times I'd be working? I thought it may be easier to give up and resort to the organic formula we made for Kennedy, but quickly realized that would just be plain STUPID. Breastfeeding has been PERFECT from the moment she was born. It's the best thing for her and it's free too! ...why would I want to stop that?! A few friends encouraged me to keep going as well. I didn't REALLY consider stopping, but the thought certainly crossed my mind. Then yesterday, after talking with a few co-workers, I knew I needed to introduce the bottle now so she can get used to it before I go back to work in October. Well... she did AWESOME!!! At first she just chewed the nipple and looked at me like I was nuts. After about a minute and a half, she sucked on it and realized she was getting something out of this foreign object. She finished 2oz quickly. I burped her and returned with another 2oz ten minutes later. She literally gagged on it. What was different?? I noticed this bag of milk was much more yellow in color and was from the very first time I pumped. Maybe it tasted different because it had the remnants of colostrum in it? Either way, I wasn't discouraged. Today, I fed her a second bottle. It was almost 5oz. I pump this much every time and figured this must be what she eats, right? Wrong. She ate close to 4oz and the rest went down the drain. WASTED LIQUID GOLD! At least it can be replaced at no cost. ;) From now on, she'll be getting at least one bottle each day so she doesn't forget.

HUGE victory for me... and Presley. It's time to start praying the rest of my worries away! Now we just have to conquer going down for bed/nap on her own and self-soothing with a pacifier. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment