Life has been very different for us the last eight days. We brought home Presley after only one day in the hospital. I felt great and decided I wanted to be in the comfort of my own home. It's been so wonderful ever since. Kennedy has taken her role as the big sister very seriously and is there to comfort and love all over her. I noticed that she also has become protective of her. If Presley is sleeping, Kennedy is the first to make sure she can breath easy and is safe. Well obviously Jon and I make sure she's good too, but it's adorable to see a four year old care so deeply for someone else. Kennedy is also very proud to show her off to everyone. It melts my heart.
Physically I feel GREAT! The fact that I didn't tear really sped up the healing process. At six days postpartum, I had already lost 20 of my 21 pounds gained in the pregnancy. I was pretty impressed! I owe it all to breastfeeding. Speaking of, Presley latched on right after birth and never looked back. She was a PRO right out of the womb. Total praise report, as I didn't have the same experience with Kennedy. My milk came in on day three and hasn't stopped flowing since. My new normal: a nursing tank and breast pads. I'm also still trying to figure out how to time her feedings around running errands. I forgot how tough that is! I can't just pick up and go anymore.
Presley had her six day check up with Dr. Claudia (the doctor who delivered her), and everything looked great! She was very impressed by Presley maintaining her weight and latching so well. I have to say, I'm one thankful Mommy!
Sleeping is optional after you have a baby right?! The truth is, I have never been one to sleep a lot, so the transition hasn't been hard at all for me. The only time it's difficult is when Presley is having a hard time passing gas and I can't do much about it. When this occurs, it can take hours for her to calm down. We have had a few nights where she's done great though and felt no discomfort. I get sleep and that makes for one happy mommy!
Jon has off the next two weeks and we're really looking forward to spending family time together. He already has a trip to the Blue Harbor Resort planned and maybe an outing to the zoo and Jump Zone too! Kennedy has been so wonderful, but I still want to make sure she knows that she hasn't been 'replaced' and that we'll always have time for her too. I started crying when I looked at her yesterday and told her I loved her a million times. She looked at me like I was nuts. I had over four fantastic years with her and I started to feel guilty for not taking the time I wanted with her this week. I have to realize that the baby is eight days old and things will increasing get easier. Presley will start sleeping longer and I'll have more free time with Kennedy.
Another thing that makes this time emotional for me is missing my grandma. It's tough knowing that she'll never stop by and hold her, kiss her... spend time with her. I had the BEST times with my grandma and I wanted the same for her and my children too. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I knew if she were a girl, I wanted to incorporate grandma's name into the baby's name. Mae is Presley's middle name, which is also my grandma's middle name. They also have the same initials. PMS. Poor girl. But after a friend suggested that name I fell in LOVE with it. Hopefully she won't be teased too much. :)
Life is good and we couldn't be more thankful for everything He has provided us with!!

No comments:
Post a Comment